Monday, July 22, 2019

5 ways to help you and your timid child enjoy Dollywood to the fullest!

Do you have a timid toddler? Frightened young teen?

Many visitors see theme parks as a place for thrill seekers, adrenaline junkies and risk takers. Being the parent of a fearful kid who doesn't seek out and want to try new exciting things means often not even taking the trip or visiting a theme park. But, at Dollywood, there is plenty for seekers and avoiders both.

My son is 5 and it took two seasons of coming to Dollywood to ride his first "roller poster." I can't tell you how many times we made it in line to the Whistle Punk roller coaster for him to back out at the last minute. There were many bribes. Daddy was even bargained into riding Wild Eagle as part of a "If you do this, I will do that" deal. It obviously backfired because went first. Rookie mistake Daddy. Do you know what worked? Multiple trips to visit Whistle Punk, watch it run, talk about the ride, what to expect and watching it on video over and over again. Oh and one of those dinosaur bubble wands.

5. YouTube is your new best friend. It's a valuable tool to allow children to watch what to expect before ever visiting the park. Videos with roller coaster point of views and park tours can help boost the excitement and lessen the fear of the unknown.

4. Talk and be open for any questions. It finally dawned on me that my son was concerned about when the ride stops it looks like it jerks and hits the riders backs. This is only what you see when you're watching along side. He spent so long saying it would hurt his back. I could not understand what he was talking about until one day when he stopped the video and said "That's what will hurt my back."

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1UItyvsBz28he5ntUp6zhElONvnygEhBa
His imagined fear was what was supporting his back would actually hurt him. 

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=19m-o-OCBDcg_iVKZlz_3jrWlZvBfUBbK
But as you can see, he overcame that but still holds on for dear life. 

3. Bribery can be a useful tool. Find your child's currency. Is it quarters? Candy? Ice cream? Toy? Gum? Face painting? Whatever, it is, the currency is there at Dollywood. My son had been eyeing one of the bubble wands on several different visits. We always stopped to play in the demonstrated bubbles but continued walking towards our next adventure. I had it in the back of my mind that one I would buy him one, but it wasn't until a fateful Tuesday in the Spring that I knew he may be receptive to actually riding the "little orange roller poster." Like a professional parent, I didn't buy it beforehand. I made the deal and said I will buy it right after you ride it. He marched right up the ramp, walked into his seat and held onto my arm for dear life the entire ride. I cheered. He exclaimed it was the best day of his life and "CAN WE RIDE IT AGAIN?"
Looking at my watch it was 5:40 p.m., the park was closing in 20 minutes and the closest vendor with bubble was on top of the highest mountain near Firechaser. Thank goodness for grandparents because they stayed and rode 3 more times while I used every last bit of energy to run up the mountain and buy a dinosaur bubble wand before they closed. I don't even want to imagine how distraught he would have been if I hadn't lived up to my end of the bargain. (Side note: make sure your bribery piece is within a good distance.)

2. Let them say no but give them the opportunity to change their mind. Up until that Spring day, we stood in front of Whistle Punk at least a dozen times and each time he said yes, right up until his turn to board the tiny train car. Each time we let him make the decision. We didn't drag him kicking and screaming. We let him choose. I want him to find his own courage and bravery. I want him to be the reason that he wants to seek the adventure. Forcing a child to do something could create more fear and more avoidance. Being small near all of those loud noises and screams can be overwhelming. Speaking of which, that's why Dollywood is an amazing host for parents of children with sensory needs and/or autism. The park has a quiet room and works with families to help children be able to enjoy the park just as much as everyone else and ride attractions that they’re more comfortable with.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1BpAJii8USFKnPOoYMJqMMTrf8oMO1jvw

1. Buy season passes. My biggest suggestion is to make the plunge. Buy the season passes and reap the benefits all year long. We were able to visit so many times and keep exposing our son to more rides just by being able to not feel guilty about accomplishing everything in one trip. If we missed a ride one day, then no problem. We knew we were coming back. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

This year has been a big year already as we've used these tips and I am happy to report my son is embracing the rides even more. He jumped on Dragonflier like he had been riding it for years and the only sign of doubt was when he said, "Mommy, can you hold my hand?" Always kid. Always.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1oK0dP-q4Wq993a6OCz5C6LSVPsG7x1RT
One day that same timid kid will amaze you, ridesomething you refuse to and even hold up one hand while doing so.


No comments:

Post a Comment