Thursday, July 11, 2013

If you are squeamish don't open this.

I can handle any kind of emergency call. I've seen hundreds of injuries photos that don't make me blink, EXCEPT for injuries to the eye. 

First of all let me say that Minnie is OK. Thank goodness. DH called me on my way home and said Minnie was stuck on the chain link fence in our backyard. Apparently, she was digging for a rock under the fence and the fence pierced her bottom eyelid and punctured through below the eye. She was stuck until I got got home as DH held her quiet and from further injuring herself. He was going to get some metal clippers to cut the fence but as I was trying to switch places with him and hold her, she wiggled herself free.

Off we went to the emergency vet since it was after hours. I was concerned about if her eye was injured and if there was any metal left in her eye. Once the vet saw her, he said she may need a stitch to close the wound and he would check her eye. By this point she was wagging her tail and licking me like crazy. She was acting fine except for her swollen eyelid, which wasn't even bleeding. 

Sedation was required and she spent about an hour under while the vet took a good look around. He determined the injury wasn't as severe as he originally thought and that there wasn't a laceration to be stitched. She did have a puncture wound where it poked through the skin but it will heal without a stitch.

She's groggy, but she's back home and sleeping on me now. The eye is puffy and she looks like she's been punched in the eye. But we're so thankful that it wasn't any worse. 

Here's her little bandages from the sedation that look like tiger leggings. The eye doesn't appear as swollen in this pic but it swelled more after she walked around a bit. With a little rest, I hope she will look better in a few days.


Oh and good news, DH handled it like a pro. I was so scared that he may get sick or pass out before I got home as he was holding her. I know it freaked him out but I think because Minnie is our fur baby, he stepped up. 

4 comments:

  1. Oh my! Poor little girl. Glad she she is ok!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes how scary, poor girl. Glad to hear she is ok!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww poor baby! Glad she is doing better now! <3 Poor little Minnie.

    ReplyDelete