Wednesday, July 10, 2013

IUI done. DH is banned from all future doctor visits.

First off let me say that I've always known that DH has a problem with medical procedures. He's passed during blood draws and runs away screaming like a 5 year old girl running from a spider when he sees a shot. During my injectables, he literally would not be in the same room while I was prepping the shot. 

Years ago during a family shared illness where everyone was huddled around toilets and trash cans, DH needed a Fenegran shot to stop his vomiting. It took two people to hold him down and one to stick him. If our getting pregnant depending on him taking injectable meds, we would have already moved into adoption. He's that scared. His father is the exact same way. Following a car accident, his dad fought the paramedics because he didn't want a shot or stitches. Nevermind the fact that he had a gaping hole in his head. That didn't bother him. But a tiny needle to help take the pain away sent him over the edge of rational thinking. 

Back to today, the IUI was over and I'm still spread eagle with my hoohaa open to Dr A and a medical student. Quick recap for newbs and lurkers who aren't familiar with IUI process. DH goes in about an hour before the appointment time and gives his sperm sample. The sperm is then spun and washed and separated or something like that and then the best lovely, wiggly sperm are put aside for me. I don't understand sperm stuff too much and there are some great experts on TB who deal with male factor infertility who explain it so much better than me. It involves math and numbers and I don't do math. The sample is brought into my room and we double check the name on it and make sure it's ours. Dr. A threads a catheter through a speculum into my uterus and then deposits the sperm for the egg that should have ovulated today. The goal of an IUI is to get the sperm as close as possible to where the egg is. As the egg continues down the Fallopian tube, the sperm will be there waiting. Make sense? 

Following the IUI, Dr A did an ultrasound to see the placement of the sperm and to teach the med student some things. As we watched and pointed at the sperm moving in my uterus, Dr A just happened to look up at DH who was standing out of my view behind my head. 

He said, "Are you Ok?" 

DH's eyes were open but he wasn't responding to us. He was leaned up against the wall and door and the nurse and med student jumped over to him as he started to fall. His eyes were open the whole time but it was like the open sign was flashing but no one was home. As soon as he started to fall, his eyes closed and they caught him and lowered him to a chair. It took about 15-20 seconds before he started responding to us again. DH never sweats but he has sweat rolling off of him in waves. The med student got him a drink of water and a few minutes later he was more awake and responding  better but for a few minutes he was pale, sweaty and near vomit stage. 

He doesn't remember what part started making him sick but he did warn me that if I do get pregnant, he won't be in the delivery room. I said, oh yes you will be. I said you may be passed out in the corner but you will be there. 

Until then, he is banned (by me) from all further doctor appointments. I would rather go by myself than have to worry about him. 

Now for the important deets: DH sperm count was 79 million post wash with 69% motile which is excellent. 

My uterine lining was good and according to Dr A I have perfect mucus. Ummm thanks, I think? 

Progesterone starts Friday and beta is in two weeks. Until then, we wait. 

For the rest of the day, I am lounging on the couch and thinking about cleaning. But it's kinda hard to clean with this laying on your pillow.


7 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you! It went great! Aside from H passing out. That is crazy! I have never heard of anyone passing out like that. Especially when it's not something directly involving them. Weird. I don't blame you for banning him from future appts!
    FX his swimmers find their way! Soo happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! MH is the same way with needles. It's brutal. Yay for perfect mucus and good sperm though! Hopefully this works!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad everything went well, lady! And those are excellent numbers. I also think it's awesome they let you see the spermies swimming away.

    And your H sounds just like mine. He hates, hates, hates needles and has to leave the room when I'm watching shows like Grey's Anatomy.

    So happy we're cycling together this time. IUI buddies for lyfe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks girlies! Yes Sun! Today is a good day to get knocked up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck!! FX so hard for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I'm WAYYYYY late, I'm catching up on everyone's blogs today but I wanted to give you hugs, and laughs and everything in between. We talked about this the other day, but C will NOT be looking at anything below my neckline in the delivery room. If he does, he will pass out. So I had a good giggle fit when you said your H would be passed out in the corner but he would in fact be there! lol

    Anyways hun, gl and major FX for you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know I'm WAYYYYY late, I'm catching up on everyone's blogs today but I wanted to give you hugs, and laughs and everything in between. We talked about this the other day, but C will NOT be looking at anything below my neckline in the delivery room. If he does, he will pass out. So I had a good giggle fit when you said your H would be passed out in the corner but he would in fact be there! lol

    Anyways hun, gl and major FX for you! <3

    ReplyDelete