I would be remiss if I didn't speak about my occupation today. As many of you know, I am proud to be a 911 dispatcher.
Yesterday started off as such a great day in our 911 center. I got called into work but I was happy to be there during the celebrations of National Public Safety Telecommunicators Week. Our boss is great and plans dinners with our 911 board, officers stop by to say thanks, and we have dress up days like it's high school homecoming all over again.
I love my job. It's challenging to deal with an incredible amount of stupid everyday but there are many calls when we know we're making a difference in someone life. We want those calls. We need those calls. It helps us know that what we do matters. It's our job security, but unfortunately that job security is sometimes the one thing you don't want.
I don't want the job security that comes from the attack in Boston yesterday. I don't want to know that there are terrorists out there that could attack us at any moment. I don't want to be the calm voice on the radio when my officers, firefighters and medics are screaming for more help. I shouldn't have to be in this position for that kind of tragedy.
But like the officers, firefighters and medics, we don't have that choice. There's not a second to delay when you answer that call. You don't know what's on the other end of that call. It could be a kid who wrecked his bike or it could be an explosion in the middle of an event with thousands of people. We have to give our best to each of these callers.
The officers, firefighters, medics and 911 didn't hesitate yesterday. You've seen the photos and videos. While most people were running away as fast as they could, these brave men and women ran towards the explosions. All without a seconds hesitation. The live footage was horrific to watch but also uplifting at the same time as rescue efforts happened immediately. Our training and incident disaster planning helps us to know what to do in these moments, and we will all say that the split second decision that you make falls back on your training. For us, it's all hands on consoles and when large scale incidents have happened here in our area, the off duty dispatchers are running as fast as possible to the communications center and incident command communications post to help.
But sometimes, it's more than training that we fall back on. Sometimes it's just second nature to run towards the injured. It's second nature to want to help. We do it because we're trained to do it. But we also do it because our bodies and souls are hard wired different than others. Our bodies would refuse to let us walk away.
To everyone involved with the Boston event, my thoughts are with you.
To the helpers, thank you.

I second that. Thank god for people like you.
ReplyDelete