Friday, August 2, 2013

One more reason my REs office is amazeballs!

I know that bringing children into an REs office is controversial and hurtful to some people, especially those who are still TTC #1. 

But, I realize that secondary IF is a very real disease, just like primary IF. I also recognize that the REs office should feel like a safe place as well. I appreciate the larger offices that have play rooms for children and I appreciate patients who do what they can to not bring their children to appointments. But, life doesn't work around our schedule and babysitters for a hour are hard to come by. 

In the past I've seen grandparents come to babysit the children in the waiting room or to hang out with them outside. Hey, whatever works. Ya know? 

I'm still in the waiting room as I type this. Inside the main office are two receptionists who know me by name and occupation and are genuinely lovely people. When I came in, there was another woman in the waiting room with a girl around 4-5 years old. The child was asleep on Mom's shoulder. When Wonder Woman Mary called her back, the woman struggled to stand under the weight of her sleeping child and gather her purse. WW Mary and the receptionists helped get her belongings and as she was going back, the receptionist asked if the girl would be OK to sleep on her during the appointment. 

Mom seemed relieved and said that would be great since the child had just fallen asleep in the car ride over. 

I was thinking in my head, where is she going to put this kid during the appointment? Let her sleep on the cold floor in the exam room? 

Awesome receptionist is now holding her as Mom is examined. The whole situation  warms my heart that they helped out the Mom and she is able to relax during her exam.

Since I started typing, the child woke up and is now coloring and apparently doesn't mind waking up on a stranger. Heck, if I could take a nap right now, I would take the risk of waking up on a stranger's shoulder too. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that your practice is a tender one. =) How did your actual appointment go?

    PS. Since you haven't updated for today, (Sat) Hope you are having an amazing birthday. Hope that you are doing something fun and exciting and surrounded by people (and furry pups) that you love. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sweet!

    Also, happy birthday! Hope you have a fabulous day <3

    ReplyDelete